Monday, June 12, 2017

A Thomas the Train 5th Birthday Party

Last month we celebrated Luke's 5th birthday. I blogged A TON about Chloe around her last birthday (see here, here and here) but just didn't take the time to do do for Luke's. So I am doing it now, it's only a month late :)

Luke LOVES trains, Thomas and Friends to be exact. So it made sense that he would want his party theme to match his obsession  favorite toys. There are a lot of great ideas all over pinterest of decor and food creations. I stuck with what I could do myself, my skills somewhat lack in the creative department.

Here are the favor bags. Each was filled with some red, blue and green candy, a sticker book, a Thomas mini, a Thomas bracelet and a Thomas plastic cup. I printed the Thomas pictures and then cut them out to tape onto the bags. For the garland , I printed the letters and simply taped them to red squares and hung with twine. Amazing how a a Krazy Cut scissor can change everything!


This was the best picture I got of the large garland. I printed these flags off of the Thomas and friends website, cut them out, and taped to different colored card stock.


Luke got a Thomas reader for Christmas so we laid it with the books on the coffee table in case anyone wanted to read them.


I found a Thomas Bingo game online and simply printed on card stock, cut out with my Krazy Kut scissors and taped to card stock. We never actually got to this game, but the kids have played several time since and love it.


 A few other print-outs: Coloring pages, mazes, connect the dots and more.


The Food:


We have a Thomas piggy bank, so he lead the food cars in the train. I also made railroad crossing cookies to add more of a train touch.


We had popcorn cups, blue, green and red M&Ms and cupcakes among the chips, fruit and veggies spread.


We laid out a few tracks and trains on our half-wall for more added fun.




I saw an idea where you take a white tablecloth and put electrical tape on it to look like a railroad track.... this is how mine turned out. Fail. But the kids like the Thomas decorations, crayons and of course ColorWonder books/pages to use.




These two:


Bought a Pin the Funnel on Thomas game and the kids loved it!






A few of the kids hanging out. It was such a nice day that the kids were outside playing a lot of the party.


The CAKE: oh man, this cake kept me up at night. I enjoy baking, and I like to get a little creative but this was the first time I had tried something like this. I saw a few designs online and did my best to recreate and add my own spin. I really like how it came out and it tasted really good too. It was a double-layer chocolate cake with white buttercream frosting. When Luke saw it he said, " WOW that cake is sooo cool!"   Made it all worth it.






MMMMMM cake....




This party turned out really fun and while it was a lot of work and cutting, it was fun being able to create most of it myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment